This house provides excellent examples of energy efficiency implementation.
- There are no windows on the North side of the house to reduce heat loss.
- The cold room is on the North side to keep it cool. It has an energy efficient refrigerator.
- The owners have an on-demand hot water system instead of a hot water tank system. They also have hot water supplied by their stove for back-up.
- Natural ventilation keeps the house cool in the summer, while passive solar (from a greenhouse and large southern windows) provides most of the heat in the winter.
- A wood stove provides back-up heating.
- There is an electric heater in place for occasions when the owners are absent for extended periods.
A composting toilet is used to reduce water use. The compost can be used for landscaping. The owners have to clean it out once a year, taking about an hour. They use the compost in their flower beds.
So far the highest energy bill was $60 but is usually around $30.
In addition, their garden and greenhouse supply all of their vegetables for the year.